
I'm kind of fascinated with insects.
Ruth knows that there are certain things that will turn me into a little 8 year old boy. Comic books, reptiles and bugs, and big narly trees that seem like they were designed by God for climbing.
So recently I decided to commit the next 4 years of my life to drawing comics, while being kept company by a Dynastes Granti Rhinoceros beetle on my desk as a pet. This little guy went with me to work and back for the last couple months. Despite the obvious horns that are only found on the male of the species, one of my co-workers decided to name the beetle Hillary. Not sure if it was named after the 2008 democratic candidate or not, but the name stayed regardless of the beetles political leaning.

I ordered this little soldier from an online breeder. That's right; got him in the mail. What the breeder didn't tell me was that these beetles are seasonal. They literally never live past December. And so, last weekend Hillary gave up his spirit and died. He was a gorgeous little bug.
Hillary left an empty cage on my desk, so I'm back online ordering a pair of little invertabrate friends to inpsire my comics. I'll take pictures when they arrive. ;)
3 comments:
Hi Royden,
We are all in sack cloth and ashes mourning Hillary. I could have brought you lots of Hillarys from Brazil. Didn't know what their life span was but for such a small creature, four months seems long enought don't you think? Glad you got home safely, we are not doing anything real exciting these days, the usual humdrum! Stay well you too O.K.?? love grams & gramps
Hi Royden,
A great tribut to Hillary. He lived in a castle at your place and you fed him well. He had a good but short life.
"Life is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. A player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more."
Maybe this gal Hillary's life is significant to Hillary Clinton's political stance?
just-a-thot, Dad
Post a Comment