Friday, May 11, 2007

Spring purchase



Ruth and I have been in this house now for a year. As all home owners know, there are a list of projects to undertake once you move into an old house. Sometimes even a new house. There are just always things you want to change. Well one of the things we wanted to change the most - we finally changed this week. It's the second largest amount of money we've spent on the place so far.

Can anyone guess what I'm standing on in this picture?



Our trip to Europe. That's what I'm standing on.



This is a picture from our inspection before we actually owned the house. As you can see, the driveway was the buck toothed grin of this beautiful bride. We loved her, but she sure needed some dental work.

Paving is pricey! And if you want it done right, you need to come up with a good game plan...



We actually agreed on what we wanted, but were just unsure of how it would look. Plus we were putting our flower beds into the hands of two guys with steel toe boots and a dump truck and a back hoe. It was scary.




I wish I could have sat around at home and watched them tear my front yard up into little chunks, but I was busy at work trying to pay for it all. Praise God for the jobs and money that gave us the ability to do this. It sure is nice to make big improvements like this. I left for work on Thursday and the driveway was just gravel. I came home and it looked like this...



Nice! That house has a beautiful black smile. It's an odd thought to think that paving our driveway adds value to our neighbors houses too. They totally owe us!

It was hard to spend all that money thinking of all the other things we could have done with it, like fly to Europe. D'oh! Oh well. But then as I was observing the pile of old asphalt that was ripped up, I had a Solomon moment; There's nothing really new under the sun. The sun rises and sets, and hurries back to where it rises.

And maybe this pile of black junk was once someone else's trip to Europe. Now it's headed to the dump.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Addie said...

Nice job Lepps! My parents are doing that right now to their entire driveway and parking area, it's a big investment! Congrats on living in your house for a year! We "celebrated" our one year house anniversary last weekend by making our yard look like crap and taking out the moss. Fun!

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful guys-congrats!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to park my car on your trip to Europe.