She does all my laundry.
All of it.
I often have to wrestle my gym bag out of her hands for her own safety. I know I'm not the worst husband in the world, but laundry is just one thing I cannot keep cycling in my head as something that needs attention. I aim to grow in this, but that's about what it amounts to. Ruth keeps cycling in her head the things that get kicked of my head by comic books plots and reptile dreams.
Without Ruth, I wouldn't smell fresh all the time.
She likes vacations.
Little vacations and big ones. When Ruth is at the end of her rope we'll often end up in a bed and breakfast on one of the islands. Her job offers more stress then mine and I try to be sensitive to that. But at the end of the day, she just likes to sleep in a comfortable bed with a great view and then get up and find the best latte in the village. It's a reminder of heaven for her I think. And I'm happy to help remind her. We've had a lot of really great adventures together, and there are only more to come.
Without Ruth, I'd be a boring workaholic.
She likes to talk.
Ruth and I are pretty busy. We work long days during the week that require us to go to bed early. But no matter how tired she is, no matter late it is, we'll talk for hours after the lights have gone out. She clearly has more things to negotiate in her mind through conversation. I understand that and I try to be helpful. She doesn't just want to talk either. She wants advice, she wants opinion, and sometimes as I'm just drifting away on the edge of sleep, her words will wake me, "Tell me a story!" Sometimes she's just not ready for sleep yet.
Without Ruth, I would get a full night's sleep every night.
She won't leave me alone.
For those of you who have read the book of The Five Love Languages, Ruth and I have a joke in our relationship regarding that book. The gist of the book is that everyone has a different language in which they prefer to receive and give love. There's quality time, quantity time, gifts, acts of service, and... I can't remember the last one. The joke is that Ruth refuses to choose between quality and quantity time. She needs both. And because of this, no matter what I do, she's right there beside me. And no matter what she does, she wants me next to her. We do late night runs to the grocery store for milk...together. We ride along for each others weekend errands.
I thought I had her this fall when I told her I was going to the reptile expo in pyuwallup. Nope. She wanted to come. Please don't mistake this for complaining.
Without Ruth, I would be alone, and lonely.
She cooks for me.
All the time. Amazing food! Better then anything I've had a restaurant. (Except that Canadian Pacific Hotel we went to in Whistler on our honeymoon. We both remember every bite of that meal.)
Without Ruth I'd make a lot of sandwiches.
Motivation.
The number one thing she brings to my life is motivation to be the kind of man that God needs me to be.
Happy Birthday Babe!
12 comments:
Absolutely...
...wonderful blog post!
P.S.: You made me jealous of you Royden! NOW I WANT A WIFE!!! (LIKE YOURS) lol
Oh shoot, it's her birthday.
And I agree, she's an amazing cook ;). I hope I can be as good as her some day... *wishful feelings*
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUTH!!
Happy Birthday Ruthie! You sound like a saint in this post, the kind of wife I aspire to make Buddy at least THINK I am! I have the talking thing down pat, and the refusing to choose between quantity and quality...Buddy and I do all the errands together too! Have a great birthday, eat at some fancy restaurant (make someone else do the cooking), have an extra big piece of dessert, and then talk your husband's ear off after the lights go out...but not for too long, leave time for other things to happen in the dark...oops, guess that was a bit obvious, but that's okay, we're all old married folk here ;P Love ya girlie, and if I don't get a chance to talk to you today, have the best birthday ever you old fogie!! lol...you know I'm just kidding. LOVE YOU!
PS Royden, you did a beautiful job of capturing the things that makes Ruth, Ruth...good job my friend!
Happy Birthday Ruth, hope you enjoyed your day. :)
Glad to see you blogging again, and it was a great post as well. I related to many of the things you said about your relationship, I'll have to get G to read this.
I saw you guys from a distance at Christmas, sorry I didn't get the chance to say hi. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday Ruth!
Happy Birthday Ruthie!!!!
I miss you lady! It was so nice to see your pretty face again and the beautiful ode from your great hubby (hi roydie!!)
I tried to write to you yesterday but the internet cafe was packed!
I hope you had a great day.... you ¨first to turn the closest you can get to 30 without being 30¨girl you!!! haha!! don´t worry.. i´m close on your heels! isn´t it scary and cool at the same time!
So as soon as i get a free second i´ll sit down and try to catch up on what you guys have been up to... but write soon... i miss you guys! (¿did i mention that already?!)
Okay.. well.. love you from sunny Mexico... hope to see you soon! love ali & Alex
ps. Happy New Year!
what did you guys do for the holidays??
ahhhhhh my Ruthie (can she be my Ruthie too?) Happy Birthday, I love you and miss being close to you (geographically speaking) and can't wait to see you soon.....your lover-Loa :) (tricked you didn't I Royden)
P.S.-are you like me-started counting down precisely how long you have before you have to get busy having a baby, so that you can say you had it in your 20's? Oh well, we're still 15 in my mind-Love ya!
What an absolutely awesome tribute to your beautiful wife Royden. She is a precious wife & daughter & you are a much loved & precious son-in-law. We couldn't have picked anyone better to safekeep Ruthie! Love you both.
What a wonderful blog post and all those pictures of Ruth! I loved them all. Much love from the other side of the world to you!
awwwww, so touching and so true! we are all falling in love with Ruth now. absolutely loooove that last pic of her...so naturally beautiful.
your sis,
jojo
Post a Comment