Sugar, ahh,
Honey, honey.
You are my candy girl,
And you got me wanting you.
You may want to open a new tab and listen to this while you read: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGL4btEIoTo
Date night found us making candy. And cupcakes. Actually candy garnish for the cupcakes. While on Orcas Island (to be posted at a later date) I found Martha Stewart's new Cupcake book. Oh me oh my. I needed it. However I resisted the urge to support the sweet island of Orcas and ordered the book on ebay when I got home at half the price. This was a good choice because I soon realized I need some new tools to copy Martha. Offset spatula? Check. Candy thermometer? Check.

I had heard that Martha's recipes could be little labour intensive. I was not daunted, 'it can't be that hard' I thought. Hard, not so much but time consuming, yes. The following cupcakes are about the most labour intensive things I have ever made. Worse than pies and creme brulee that's for sure! From the cake batter to the icing to the garnish...all together a lot of work. I think I may retire back to my trusty cupcake mix. Apparently the women who use these recipes don't have jobs or houses to look after...let alone small children!!
I am slow in the kitchen, this I know from cooking pizza's with Mrs. Miller. She is amazing. I have a little ADD when it comes to reading recipes and tend to read them over and over again. However even accounting for this handicap the process was a bit ridiculous. Royden tried to make me feel better by reminding me that Martha went to jail for awhile and maybe she made up the recipe there since you know, time isn't really of the essence when one's in jail. Or is it?
So there you go. My masterpiece. Humid Seattle did not like my candy. They do NOT look like the picture. Martha also failed to mention that the candy is impossible to remove from items without the help of boiling water and a razor blade. She also failed to mention that the thin shreds of candy are capable of shredding ones hands and mouth.

4 comments:
They are beautiful. Looks like it was an interesting adventure with all that sugar. So which ones tasted better. The blue cupcakes (my favorite) or the Martha Stewart ones?
I love that you love cooking.
Mom 2
They look beautiful! And I admire your ambition!
Oh my oh my Ruthie you DO like to cook & bake don't you! You've truly missed your calling & you're waaaaay better than MS. Royden's words of encouragement were hilarious.
Love you sweetheart,
da mama N.
Martha Stewart has always rubbed me the wrong way, because it's not practical to be like her! But I do like some of her recipes, at least in theory. These look delicious by the way, nice job!
Post a Comment