I don't take on projects like this. Ruth will attest to it. In fact I believe the day I began digging, Ruth was downright scared. It's a pretty small scale project. It's just not like me and I know that. It's not what I'm good at, and I know that too. But it's a good lesson in trying something new and stepping out of my comfort zone...you know my office.
I'm building a retaining wall in our backyard. Originally there were a few old rotting rail way ties holding back the dirt. I ripped those out and dug a trench. It's a pretty straight forward process. I've been working with Josh ( http://themillerhood.blogspot.com/ ) at his house with several walls over the years, so I felt like I knew how to do it.
I didn't.
But Josh rescued me and put me on the path to success. I didn't dig deep enough or wide enough. I was also apparently being a little too picky on the leveling of the bottom row. The bottom row is everything, if you don't get those right, you're hosed.
Progress is slow as I have more projects then I can keep up with. If I'm not working on my illustration freelancing, I'm trying to get my photo freelancing of the ground. If I'm not doing either of those, I have no excuse to not be in the backyard shoveling gravel and stacking bricks. It's labor! It's real, actual labor. For goodness sakes I'm getting blisters and a sore back!
I've learned something; working in the yard makes me feel like I really deserve ice cream.
Also, I bought a new lens recently so I'm testing it out here on the wall and on these flowers. It's a sigma 17-70mm with macro focusing. Tell me if it measures up.
Also tell me how awesome my wall is.
It makes me feel like a manly man.
Ah, who am I kidding I just posted a picture of pretty flowers.
10 comments:
I think manly men take pictures of flowers and illustrate children's books. Just for the record...you're my favorite manly man (ok you're tied with dad) and I think others would do well to be more like you:)xo
ha! I'm signed in as you!
The wall's looking pretty good Royden - don't think you'll end up and any disaster DIY shows or anything :)
Good for you son! Your walls look much better than my home-made bread! If Josh saw your walls, (I mean Joshua with the Isrealites, & building of the walls of Jericho) he'd rise up from his grave....and hire you, and make you supervisor! I'm lookin forward to seeing that wall all finished.
Keep up the good work, yer Dad
Looks great to me!And the flowers are nice too!Can't wait to see it. And go for that ice cream.I like ice cream.Eric
I like ice cream too, and I like your wall!!
Da mama #2
Awww, poor guy. That's a big job! We did a retaining wall too (not sure if i've posted a pic on my blog) but of course, here, there is plenty of hired labour. Good thing cause i doubt we'd have attempted such a thing without help. I think I can safely say that, sore back aside, the wall will be something you'll appreciate for many years to come (providing you don't move:P).
Hey Royden,
You did a great job. And you always deserve ice cream. Love the flower pics but then I always do. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Love you, Your Mom
Yeah, Royden! Now we can both say it together: "For goodness sakes! Blisters and sore back!!! Ahh..."
That's exactly what I used to say last year when I myself had my share of building a retaining wall!
I am happy for you though! The blocks you're using are nice, and small! Good choice!!! They are not like the ones I had to carry and move around... yeah, the ones that that sweet guy from church chose specially for me!!!!!!! lol
Now we can compare & count our blisters, and I sure agree you deserve Ice-cream!
Your wall looks great... Great job! Keep it up.... Luke =)
Hanno saw your wall and said-"that's a nice wall" and he has never built me a wall, so i am impressed. Diggin trenches is never fun (Mexico missions-'95 I experienced it) so cheers to you!
Post a Comment